Wednesday, January 7, 2009

How I found Comfort in my time of Trial

Have you ever felt like the entire world has turned it's back on you? Nothing is going right? Like God is watching you squirm around, and doing nothing? Like nothing is worth living for? Why even get out of bed?
Well, that isn't how I feel. I only feel like one part of the world has turned it's back on me. I feel like only some things are going wrong. I feel like God is trying to help me in every way. I feel like I still have purpose to live for. I find reasons to get out of bed.
Now, there IS a point to this little rant.
Very recently, something happened to me. Nothing horrible, just something a little personal. (hint: don't worry about it, lol). Anyway, at first, I was shocked. I just sat down for a good 30 minutes and couldn't move. I couldn't belive it. The first thing that occured to me was "what did I do wrong?". I knew I did something wrong. If I had done everything perfectly, it wouldn't have happened. I messed up somewhere, but where?
Next, I thought "why did God let this happen?". I'm not someone who thinks God turns His back on me. I never think he is punishing me, I understand the whole theological points behind suffering. What I was searching for was: what will I learn from this?
After that, I thought "why even continue on with my life?". Now I wasn't even considering committing suicide, I was just wondering why even keep trying at my everyday life. Why even do homework, workout, do chores, brush my teeth, etc.
Lastly, I thought "how will I find COMFORT?".
Comfort. It's something EVERYONE needs at one point or another. You can never be too comforted. Everyone wants to be COMFORTable. It's what we seek for as people. We all try to get comfort from different sources. Some turn to food (ever heard of comfort food?), others turn to entertainment, some turn to people, but, the truly wise turn to God.
God IS comfort. It's what he is best at. When I was in my time of grief, I turned first to the Lord, which was something I usually don't do. Here are some verses I found:

*2 Corinthians 1:3-5, "Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God. For just as the sufferings of Christ flow over into our lives, so also through Christ our comfort overflows."

*Matthew 5:4, "Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted."

*Psalm 34:18, "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit."

*Isaiah 66:13a, "As a mother comforts her child, so will I comfort you."

I can't tell you how much these verses comforted me. Knowing that God was there. God knew EXACTLY how to comfort me. That, well, comforted me!
Then, I thought of this: this has happened to someone else! I'm not the only one who has felt like this! I recalled this verse: Ecclesiastes 1:9, "What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun."
God has been there, done that, and He knows what it's like. It's no big deal to Him. Yet, He still comforts us.
Tonight, let's all thank-God for Comfort.

Psalm 119:28, "My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word."

1 comment:

  1. Amen Logan!!
    Very well put. I am so proud of your spritual maturity. It is so important that we draw near to god during those trials. It is just as important to draw near to him everyday. Studing his word and pressing into it will help us to obtain Godly Wisdom.
    Proverbs 2:6-12 reads
    6 For the LORD gives wisdom,
    and from his mouth come knowledge and understanding. 7 He holds victory in store for the upright, he is a shield to those whose walk is blameless,8 for he guards the course of the just and protects the way of his faithful ones.
    9 Then you will understand what is right and just and fair—every good path. 10 For wisdom will enter your heart, and knowledge will be pleasant to your soul. 11 Discretion will protect you, and understanding will guard you.
    12 Wisdom will save you from the ways of wicked men, from men whose words are perverse.

    Keep searching Logan and live a life of saltiness.
    Jim

    ReplyDelete